Thursday, June 23, 2011

Have you ever hunted Beach Glass on the Outer Banks?

Beach Glass on the Outer Banks
One of my favorite past times here on the Outer Banks is searching for beach glass.  I must be one of the luckiest girls on earth because I landed a beach house in Duck only 4 lots from the ocean!  So you can imagine each morning I’m right there on it for my daily walk.  Of course I have to take the dogs for their exercise too and they LOVE it. 
The Duck Research Pier is about 12 minutes north, so that’s our usual route.  We strut our stuff with the nice ocean breeze and waves crashing at our feet up to the pier and back just about every morning.  Along the way I have time to enjoy the beauty of nature, do some deep thinking, talk to God AND look for beach glass.
In case you’ve never been on such a hunt, there are a few tricks.  First, you have to look for big shell beds.  Fortunately there are several along our route.  The only other thing you need is patience as you scan the thousands of shells, rocks, sand and other surprises looking for your gem! 
Special Tip – having dogs with you is not good for item two.  They don’t seem to be very patient while you search, especially when distracted by a sand crab running across the sand just out of their reach.  Suddenly your arm is yanked, you fall over, and…well I digress!
The point is, once you find your first piece it’s really exhilarating.  I mean, it’s just a piece of old glass (probably from some beer bottle) that’s been washed around on the ocean floor…nevertheless it’s still a rare treasure and a fun exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment