Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Best Business Practices - Two Simple Words!

Don’t you just love opportunities to learn something about yourself and Messy officeyour business?  During Hurricane Irene, my office in Duck was flooded.  As we speak it is completely torn apart and being put back together.  So, what does that mean for my business over the next month?  The office is CLOSED for re-construction.

Well, I have two choices.  Keep going or stop.  It’s that simple.  I can’t afford to stop so I have to improvise.  Well, there’s one decision out of the way. 

Decision two…move upstairs to work or work from home.  That’s a no brainer.  I know what I’ll do if I go home…NOTHING.  So I decided to move my operation upstairs.  Sounds easy right?  NOT!  It’s very distracting working in clutter with heavy machinery and power tools around.  Not to mention the 85+ degree heat with no A/C, just hoping for a cool breeze off the sound through the open windows with no screens!  I’ve had plenty of visitors, but last I checked bugs don’t buy houses.

Messy PlaceHowever, I’m at work!  So my best business practice is simply SHOW UP!  Yesterday I was determined to come in and make some calls and sure enough, I set a listing appointment for Friday.  You can see the photos of the mess I’m working around.  So what?  It’s a great time to buy, there are a lot of great deals on the Outer Banks right now and I’M HERE!  Ready to go!

I’ve learned it’s not your location, or your surroundings, or your circumstances.  Those are just excuses for not getting started.  SHOW UP and make something happen.  If you walk into your day with that attitude, the rest will work itself out and you’ll find success more often than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment